Destinations Credit Union has been in business since September 9, 1935. Originally chartered as Baltimore Transit Employees Credit Union, it served only employees of the Baltimore Transit Company (now MTA).
The founding members included George E. Wolf, Joseph M. Wolf, Joseph Shepp, John Smith, Edward Mullen, George A Brown, Ray S. Clark, Valentine Durr, Howard Mabse, Charles A. Moser, and Charles A. Trageser. The Credit Union was originally headquartered in the Court Square Building downtown. At the time, the credit union pooled the savings from Baltimore Transit employees and loaned it out to other employees.
History in the Making
As the years progressed, the credit union moved to various locations (pictured left: the Credit Union at 2323 Greenmount Ave. in 1968), ending up at 6200 Harford Road in 1976, where it remained until early 2009. In 1975, the credit union changed its name to MTA Employees Credit Union, since the Baltimore Transit Company was folded into the MTA.
Through the years, services expanded to include many financial products and services, and membership expanded to include family members of the MTA employees.
Destinations for a New Generation
In the late 1990s, the credit union began expanding by adding employer groups to the field of membership. In 2005, we were approached by Team Federal Credit Union to look at a merger. The merger was completed early in 2006 and MTA Employees Credit Union became Destinations Credit Union, to better reflect the entire scope of the combined membership. Today we are proud to serve over 170 employers and other groups. In January 2009, the credit union moved to a larger facility located at 8767 Satyr Hill Road.
While the concept is still the same — pooling our savings so that others can borrow, we have also added a wide range of services to meet the ever-evolving financial needs of our membership.