Whether your dream retirement entails some relaxing time on the golf course or finally mastering deep-sea diving, it's never too early to start saving. Transition your dreams into a real-life outcome with the help of an IRA from Destinations Credit Union. We offer both traditional and Roth IRA plans — each with different associated tax advantages, plus Coverdell Education Savings to help save for your child's education. There are no setup or monthly maintenance fees, just dividends above standard savings to be earned.
Individual Retirement Accounts (IRAs)
- Tax-advantaged retirement savings*
- Competitive dividends above standard savings rates
- Traditional and Roth IRA options
- No setup fees
- No monthly or annual maintenance fees
- $5,500 contribution limit per year
- Additional $1,000 "catch-up" contribution allowed for ages 50+
- Funds can be used to purchase share certificates within IRA
- $25 minimum deposit to open shares
- $500 minimum deposit to open share certificate
*Consult a tax advisor.
There are advantages to both traditional and Roth IRAs. One of the biggest differences is the time at which you see the most advantage. A traditional IRA provides potential tax relief today, while a Roth IRA has the potential for the most tax benefit at time of retirement.
- No minimum contribution requirement
- Contributions are tax deductible on state and federal income tax*
- Earnings are tax deferred until withdrawal (when usually in lower tax bracket)
- Withdrawals can begin at age 59 ½
- Early withdrawals subject to penalty**
- Mandatory withdrawals at age 70 ½
- Income limits to be eligible to open Roth IRA***
- Contributions are NOT tax deductible
- Earnings are 100% tax free at withdrawal*
- Principal contributions can be withdrawn without penalty*
- Withdrawals on interest can begin at age 59 ½
- Early withdrawals on dividends subject to penalty**
- No mandatory distribution age
- No age limit on making contributions as long as you have earned income
*Subject to some minimal conditions. Consult a tax advisor.
**Certain exceptions apply, such as healthcare, purchasing first home, etc.
***Consult a tax advisor.
Create an easier transition into college for student and yourself by setting up a savings account early. A Coverdell Education Savings Account (ESA) provides a tax-free safe place to grow competitive dividends and also financial confidence for a new stage in life.
- Set aside funds for your child's education
- No setup or annual fee
- Dividends grow tax-free
- Withdrawals are tax-free and penalty-free when used for qualified education expenses*
- Designated beneficiary must be under 18 when contributions are made, or be a special needs student
- To contribute to an ESA, certain income limits apply**
- Contributions are not tax deductible
- $2,000 maximum annual contribution per child
- The money must be withdrawn by the time he or she turns 30 unless they are a special needs beneficiary***
- The ESA may be transferred without penalty to another member of the family in certain instances
- No minimum deposit to open shares
- $500 minimum deposit to open share certificates
*Qualified expenses include tuition and fees, books, supplies, board, etc.
**Consult your tax advisor to determine your contribution limit.
***Those earnings are subject to income tax and a 10% penalty.